Sunday, January 27, 2008

Homemade Birthday Cake

As Ashlyn's birthday was approaching, I was planning what to do for her birthday party. Of course if would pretty much consist of our family and a few friends coming over and we would make some sort of meal for everyone, but I wanted to make something special for her. I recieve a few cake decorating things for Christmas, so I thought I could attempted to be "little miss homemaker" and make her birthday cake this year, thinking it would be fun and save us some money. I searched the Internet to find pictures of birthday cakes that I liked. I finally found a cake that I thought I could definitely make.
(I wish I could remember where I found this picture)

Needless to say, I did not make the whole thing from scratch. I went out and bought all the supplies needed: the cake mix, icing, fondant (which I had never used before), and food coloring. So, the night before her party, I set out to make a beautiful cake for her. About 6 hours later I was finally finished. I am actually pretty impressed with how the cake turned out, especially because I have never attempted to make anything like this before. What do you think?




Ashlyn attempting to blow out the candles

7 comments:

Jana's Life said...

Great job on that cake, not only was it spectacular, but it tasted great.

Great party! Great Food! Hosted by really great people!

Luv Ya Lots!

Morgan said...

it looks just like a pastel version of the original! you did a really great job. it looked even better in person!

Catherine Haskew said...

Wow I am so impressed by your cake making skills! Way to go!

Cynthia said...

That is awesome! It totally looks like something I would have paid big bucks for. Is there a little Betty Crocker coming out....

Courtney M. Parrott said...

that is really cute! I am sooo impressed!

Steph said...

AMAZING!!! Well done you!

Melissa said...

I love this cake- so cute! It looks like you're a natural at cake decorating. BTW... Hobby Lobby stores usually offers Wilton Cake decorating classes, you might enjoy them. :)