Friday, February 22, 2008

Success!



So now that Ashlyn is 2, I have been preparing myself for potty training. I must say I have been kinda lazy, because I know Ashlyn is probably ready to be a "big girl." I just know that once it begins that it will take a lot of effort on my part to take her to the potty throughout the day. And then there's also the dreaded "taking her to the store and praying that she will not have an accident." All of this has kept me from really getting excited about potty training her. Inevitably, I know it must be done.


So, Jason and I have decided to take it slow. We have just been waiting for her to say she wants to go sit on the potty. She has asked a number of times over the past few weeks ,but every time we take her she just wants to play with the toilet paper or flush the potty and nothing else.


So today, she came up to me and said she was stinky. When I checked, she wasn't, so I said, "Do you want to go sit on the potty?" And she said YES! Now I didn't get my expectations up to high, but I thought there might be a chance this time! And when I sat her down, she actually went potty on the potty!!! I praised her and told her what a good job she did!


Now I don't know what will happen next...will she ask to go every time? Probably not:( But we are on the right track! If any of you potty training experts out there have any advice for me, please share! But for now...I will be a proud mama that we have gotten this far:)

7 comments:

liz said...

wow...she asked to go without any prompting/convincing...im impressed, even if there are accidents in the future!

Steph said...

I like your approach...I don't think I'm gonna bring up the issue until Braelyn decides she's interested. She may go to to kindergarten in diapers, but hey, at least I wasn't pushy, right?! :)
Hope the potty success keeps up in the Maas household!

Cynthia said...

yeah! stay on it friend, just think of the rewards in the end...plus, if anyone can instigate their own potty training it would be super-smart ashlyn!

the hungarian said...

The child is usually ready for potty training long before the parent! Give her an m&m or other tiny reward every time she goes, then put her in panties during the day and phase out the reward so that it just becomes a part of your day!! good luck!

BeccaDink said...

I've been living with my sister her husband and their son - and I'm quite thankful I'll be leaving before the potty training begins. But those mom's I've been around suggest the M&M reward that "the hungarian" talked about. Most had great success.

Jen said...

we did a reward system too. We use a "noodle jar" method. we dyed some macaroni for a craft one day....and painted a small jar. One noodle for pee, 2 for poop. when your jar is full you get a prize. We use this for a number of things...either learning something new, or correcting forgotten manners issues, or for getting them in the habit of doing new chores.
GOOD LUCK!!!

monique said...

Yeah!!! Great job Ashlyn - and Sarah too! Sounds like the start of something wonderful. I agree with Christina, while I'm such a stickler for the "low sugar" rule, new tricks like this deserve a jelly bean!